|Promoter||The Japan Kanji Aptitude Testing Foundation|
|Address||551 Gionmachi-minamigawa, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto 605-0074, Japan|
Not available from outside Japan. Please contact us by e-mail.
|Business hours||Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm, except public holidays and New Year holidays
|FAX||075-532-1110 （Outside Japan）+81-75-532-1110|
About the BJT
- Q1 What does the BJT measure?
The BJT is a test to measure your proficiency in communicating in the Japanese language required in business settings.
- Q2 When did this test begin?
BJT was created in 1996 by JETRO. From 2009, we took over from JETRO and started to place an emphasis on Japanese language ability.
- Q3 What kind of questions are asked on the test?
Please see the BJT web site for several sample questions.
- Q4 Are there any special qualifications needed to take the BJT?
The BJT is open to all non-native Japanese speakers.
- Q5 Does the BJT correlate with the JLPT?
A survey was conducted to see what levels BJT examinees had achieved on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT).
Please see the BJT website for a graph of the results.
- Q6 Has the test ever been used by any companies or schools?
A large number of companies and schools are using the BJT in a variety of ways. Please see our website for some actual examples.
- Q7 If I obtain a high score on the BJT, will I get preferential treatment when I apply for a Visa or other immigration applications?
Immigration authorities refer to BJT scores as well as the level achieved on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test when evaluating applications submitted by foreigners entering Japan.
In the "Points-based Preferential Immigration Treatment for Highly Skilled Foreign Professionals" implemented by the Immigration Bureau of Japan, you are eligible for bonus points (15 points) if you have score of 480 points or higher.
- Q8 How long does the BJT take?
The BJT takes about 2 hours. There are a total of 100 questions.
- Q9 How will my BJT score be calculated?
The BJT test scores are calculated through statistical processing of the raw scores based on the item response theory (IRT). The data is processed using a conversion equation that enables the final result to reflect the difficulty of each question instead of simply giving the same score to each correct answer.
- Q10 What score do I need to achieve to pass the test?
The results are not "pass/fail". Rather you will receive a score from 0 to 800, which is then ranked on a scale of six levels from J5 to J1+.
- Q11 What do the BJT levels J1+ through J5 indicate?
We made a "CAN-DO Report," which was developed to help reveal the actual Japanese language ability reflected by the BJT levels. Please refer to http://www.kanken.or.jp/bjt/english/about/evaluation.html
for further information.
How to apply
- Q1 When can I take the BJT?
The test dates for 2016 are as follows:
32nd test: June 26 (sun)
33rd test: November 20 (sun)
- Q2 How much is the exam fee?
The exam fee is ¥7,000 per person.
- Q3 How can I apply to take the BJT?
The way to apply differs depending on whether you apply for the BJT as an individual or as part of a group.
For more information, please refer to
［Individual applications］ http://www.kanken.or.jp/bjt/english/interior/personal.html
［Group applications］ http://www.kanken.or.jp/bjt/english/interior/group.html
- Q4 Can I take the BJT outside Japan?
You can take the BJT test in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia and Myanmar.
Please refer to http://www.kanken.or.jp/bjt/english/overseas/
for more information about taking the BJT in each country.
- Q5 Can you issue a receipt for the exam fee?
Yes, we can. Please contact
- Q6 When is the application period?
The application periods for 2016 are as follows:
［32nd test］March 1st (Tue)～May 20th (Fri)
［33rd test］July 1st (Fri)～October 14th (Fri)
- Q7 Will my exam fee be refunded if I am unable to take the test?
No, it is not possible to provide any refunds once the fee is paid. Also, it is not permitted to shift your application to a later test.
About test sites
- Q1 Where are test sites in Japan?
The test sites are located in Fukushima, Tokyo, Yokohama, Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima (only the 33th test), Fukuoka, and Oita. The specific location will be announced in the examination voucher.
- Q2 Can I change to another test site?
No, you cannot change to another test site after you have submitted your application.
About the examination voucher
- Q1 When will I receive the examination voucher?
You will receive it about 1week before the test date.
- Q2 Can you send the examination voucher overseas?
We cannot send it overseas when you will take the test in Japan. Please specify an address in Japan where you would like the examination voucher to be sent.
- Q3 What is the Photo Form?
In this form, attach the photo of you that you want to appear on the Score Certificate.
Please be sure the photo is the specified size photo, and bring the form with you to the test.
- Q4 What is the Address Form?
In this form, please write the address where you want your certificate to be sent. (You can find this form on the reverse side of the Photo Form)
Please bring it with you to the test. Note that the certificate can be sent to an overseas address.
In the case of group applications, we will send the certificates to the group, so you don't need to indicate a specific address.
- Q1 What do I need to bring to the test?
□Examination voucher □Photo Form/Address Form □Photo ID □Pencils & Erasers □Wrist watch
- Q2 When can I enter the test room?
Reception for the BJT starts at 12:00. You can enter the test room after signing in at the reception desk.
- Q3 Can I use a reference book or workbook until the test starts?
No, you cannot. Please place such texts in your bag after entering the test room.
- Q4 Can I take the BJT if I arrive late?
No, you cannot. You need to be seated in the test room by 13:10 at the latest. Please arrive at the test site sufficiently in advance.
- Q5 Can I use a cellphone or smartphone as a watch?
No, you cannot. Please turn off your cellphone or smartphone during the test.
- Q6 Is there a break time during the test?
No, there is not. If you feel sick or need to use the bathroom, please raise your hand and inform an invigilator.
- Q7 Can I keep the test and answer sheet after I take the test?
No, you can not take the test home with you. If you do, you will automatically be disqualified.
About test results
- Q1 When will I receive test results?
Score reports will be sent one and a half months after the test date.
- Q2 Can I receive the test results outside of Japan?
Yes, you can. Please write the address where you want the test results to be sent on the Address Form that you are required to bring with you to the test.
- Q3 Does the score certificate ever expire?
No, the score certificate never expires.
- Q4 Can the score certificate be reissued?
Score certificates can be reissued up to 3 years from the test date. For more information, please refer to
- Q1 Are there any materials available for the BJT?
We issue official textbooks. For more information, please refer to http://www.kanken.or.jp/bjt/english/book/